Tuesday, November 6, 2012

29 weeks MFM appointment

Today was a mostly uneventful appointment.  The appointment was actually with the nurse practitioner.  She is the last of the professionals in the group that I hadn't met.  She was very nice, but she was a lot more forward about looking at my pieces for problems.  For instance, she squeezed my chubby ankles and asked if I'm having other symptoms that go with chubby ankles.  Most of the other doctors keep their distance and focus on the babies.  She measured my belly and said I'm measuring 36 weeks!!!!????!!!!!  That is 7 weeks ahead of where I am.  That is one month shy of delivery for the average singleton mom.  That explains why I can no longer roll over in bed, stand up without help or a battle, or wear my maternity shirts with confidence that they will cover the belly fully.

They did give me the results of my gestational diabetes test.  I passed with flying colors.  Since I "accidentally" drank the full bottle instead of the actual dose of half a bottle, she said I passed with super flying colors.  I may not be able to stand for more than a few minutes at a time, but I sure can process my glucose. 

I did get my flu shot and my tetanus/pertussis shot at the end of the appointment.  I'm pretty pumped for the tetanus booster.  There have been a few times during this house remodelling project that made me hope for no tetanus infection.  I had to tell Cody to watch me for symptoms of lock jaw.  I can now confidently walk around the outside of our house with no worry of the sizable number of rusty nails hiding in our grass.  We would appreciate it if anyone that plans to spend time with the babies gets the flu shot and the pertussis shot.  We will have probable preemies born during flu season.  They will need all the help they can get.

After the appointment, they called over to labor and delivery and got us a tour.  They couldn't really give us any definitive answers because with the twins we have to do whatever is medically necessary at the time.  We got to see all the different rooms.  It was a lot quieter than I thought it would be.  Nobody was running around or screaming.  There was no family milling around in the hallways.  Since I have twins, I have to deliver in an OR.  We didn't get to see one of those.  The nurse did say that if I get a c-section Cody is allowed to look over the curtain if he wants.  He offered to help deliver of course.  He does have sooooo much experience with birthing mammals.  It looks like a fine place to bring my two humans into the world. 

Overall, everything with me and the babies is fine.  My next appointments are in 2 weeks.  I'll be 31 weeks then.  28 weeks is a milestone in terms of fetal okayness if they are delivered.  The next milestone week is 32.  Of course every week is important, but at 32 the risks go way down again.  They just gave me some preterm labor symptoms to watch out for and sent me on my way.  I can't believe how close we are getting to the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment