Thursday, January 10, 2013

Tales from the Hospital: Cleaning Lady

I don't know if I've posted this story yet, but I think of it now and then and it makes me laugh. 

There is a housekeeping staff that comes in to room in the NICU twice per day to empty the trash and take out the used linen.  Some of the ladies have been chatty and some just pop in and out quickly. 

We were sitting in there with the babies a few days ago when one of the chattier ladies came in to clean.  We had never seen her before.  I don't remember how exactly it came up, but we started talking about how I had an emergency delivery that was a little more risky and horrible.  She said, "Oh I know, I cleaned up your operating room afterwards." 

How horrible does your operating room have to be for a random cleaning lady to remember you a month later?  There are a lot of babies born in this hospital.  She must've cleaned quite a few operating rooms between then and now.   It must have been like a horror movie.  How did she know it was my operating room?  Does she remember all of the operating rooms and the people that came out of them?

Moral of this story: Yes, the people that deal with this stuff every day do in fact remember specific people and their horrible operating rooms.  You do not get any anonymity because they deal with it every day. 

I think this supports the theory that you should always wear clean underwear because you never know what ER staff will see you in dirty undies.  Apparently they will remember you.

1 comment: