Wednesday, March 13, 2013

First Solo Outing!

We survived the first time out with me and the boys!  They had to get their (hopefully last!) Synagis shot on Wednesday. Since Cody missed work for me being sick and for him being sick, he couldn't come with us. 

We spent an hour on Tuesday night practicing with the double stroller.  That thing is big and complicated!  I had to learn: how to fold it and unfold it, how to get the car seats hooked on without being too traumatic for the baby inside the car seat, how to cram it in the trunk.  (It has to go in upside down, front first, and jammed sideways once it is halfway in), and how to get it out of the trunk.  (An error getting it out actually made me bleed!)  Once I thought I was fairly comfortable with everything, I quit yelling at Cody to help me more.

Practicing in the living room



The exciting day arrived.  I planned to get out of here at 2:15.  At 2:35 I had the boys in the car and was pulling out of the driveway.  I got to the hospital about 20 minutes early.  I got a fantastic parking space.  It was off to the side in a row of 3 cars (instead of the main parking garage spots) so I wasn't in the flow of traffic or on a slope. 



After I wrestled the stroller out of the trunk, I couldn't get it open!  In all of our trial runs, there is this one hook/snap thing that never engaged while I had the help of Cody to diagnose problems.  It took like 5 minutes, lots of cussing, and plenty of stroller scuff marks from rabid stroller flipping to try to solve the problem.  It ended up being in a really obvious and easy spot.  I felt like an idiot, but I was on my way again. I got the boys set up and started on my way to the elevator.  One of the front wheels had a lock on it that never engaged during trial runs.  I must say our trial runs weren't that effective.  Anyway, after I figured out how to fix the front wheel we were on our way.

The lady checking me in was coughing in her hand and then put wrist bands on the babies.  I found that funny since I was taking my babies to get $3000 shots to keep them from getting sick and they got coated in germs at check in.  I rubbed antibacterial hand stuff on them once we got to the waiting area.  The other parents looked at me like I was insane.




Our appointment was for 3:15.  The boys normally eat at 3.  I pushed their noon feeding back thinking I'd get until 4 or so to feed them.  That would work out great because I'd be pretty much  home to feed them.  Well, the clinic got behind and they finally called us back at 4.  The boys were going bananas wanting food.  The clinic schedules a lot of people with really short times so they are all business.  There was no time to feed them.  I put some formula in one bottle and let both of them suck off it when they were free from being poked.

I used a permanent marker to make onesies that say "Hi, I'm Alex" and "Hi, I'm Ben."  I did this because medical offices like to schedule the boys for two appointments but do them at the same time.  Two nurses come and start firing off questions and doing things.  When Cody is there, we can each take a baby and keep things straight.  I was worried they would get mixed up in the confusion with just me.  The first nurse looked at me like I was crazy and said, "Well their name is on their wristband already, I hope."  Whatever.  I was right.  The other nurse went through all the verification that it was Ben's shot and the correct dosage, and then she started prepping Alex for the shot!  The other nurse was like don't you see the giant Alex written across his belly?  It was the same dose for both boys and I had already noticed she had the wrong boy as well.  I just thought it was funny.  They cried a little after their shot, but they are used to getting poked and settled when I picked them up.

Their onesies:


On the way out, I had a greatest mommy in the world moment.  I was waiting for an elevator.  When one finally opened, this couple took forever trying to decide if they were going to get on or not.  They finally decided they were not because they wanted to go up not down.  The doors were closing.  My instinct was to push Ben in the way of the closing door.  Oops.  When the doors closed on his car seat, they opened back up.  And we were on our way.

I got everyone packed up and finally fed them around 5.

It wasn't bad.  There was no major crying and only some fussing.  If the trunk wasn't so small or the stroller so huge, it really would be no biggie at all.  I'm super glad to have the stroller though.

I'm still probably not brave enough to take them shopping alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment