Saturday, October 13, 2018

Hanging out on the farm

Well, we are about 2 months into our farm transition time.  The kids are enjoying school, as far as I can tell.  They mostly tell me what they had for lunch and then ask if it is snack time yet.  Food is priority 1 for their little brains.  I'm doing what I can to learn the ropes around here while also trying to stay out of the way and trying to keep the kids from "helping" their way into a dangerous situation.  Cody will join us when he can.  Things aren't going exactly according to plan, but they are going.

We have had many fun, and some "fun," adventures.  My poor mother in law has had to spend weeks explaining everything to me like I'm a little kid.  What is that?  Why is that there? What does that do?  Why do we do that?  Should I close this?  Are we allowed to touch that? I have two 5-year-olds, so I know how those questions wear on your soul, even when you really want to teach someone else.  I'd say she has successfully got me from not at all knowledgeable about how things out here work to mostly not knowledgeable about how things out here work.  I'd call that a win.

When we first arrived, there were 5ish kittens.  Grandpa LOVES kittens.  They get lots of love and milk replacer.  He likes cats significantly less.  They get food and shelter, but they are not adored quite like the kittens.

Ben has shorter hair and Alex has longer hair in all the pics in this post.


The boys really enjoyed the kittens.


These kittens were eventually moved by the mama cat.  We still have some kittens running around.


The boys tried to take a selfie together.  Priceless. Their arms are not quite long enough to get both in the frame.


There was a little cowboy gun/gun holster set on clearance at Dollar General for like $2.  It was one of the best $2 I've ever spent on toys for them.  The clicking of the gun started to drive me insane, but they had lots of fun.  Here are their tough guy poses.


Shooting the bad guys off the back of the pickup.


Alex taking another selfie.


Ben's fossil rock.  He loves LOVES rocks now.  I found this one for him.  He loved it so much.  He took it to show and tell and it broke in his backpack.  We were pretty bummed.  Luckily there are lots of rocks with fossils around here.


We managed to go to the drag races one weekend when Cody was visiting.  This was Alex, again taking selfies, in the stands waiting for Grandpa to race.  He likes taking selfies.


Ben wearing Cody's shirt.



The boys like to climb this.  The cat climbs with them.


This gate has shocked me twice.  The first time it got me, I was with my mother in law.  It was completely unexpected.  The passenger's job is gates, so I had plenty of successful gate operation success.  She laughed so hard she snorted.  At least that's how I remember it.  I laughed too, but apparently, it is funnier when someone else gets it.  

The second time it happened, I had gloves on and I was expecting it.  There is a little plastic shield on the handle that is supposed to protect your hand from hitting the metal hook that is electrified.  The protective ring is gone on this handle.  I was warned about why it happened after the first time.  I thought I was being soooo careful.  I opened it without incident.  I felt brave and proud.  When I went to hook it back up, it got me again.  I will beat you someday, gate.


From my first real solo assignment.  I was sent to give some of the cattle salt and mineral.  They love when you come to deliver mineral.  They run over and stand there watching you impatiently.  


A friendlier gate.  It has never hurt me.


Playing pirates, beating eachother with sticks.


A giant purple ball.  Ben in the black shirt.  Alex wants it.  


Alex wrestling for it.


They both lost it.


Back to chasing it.  Really we had a lot of fun with this ball.  I wrestled around with them.  We played soccer and kickball, then we used heads to headbutt the ball.  Another great $2 spent.


More cowboy guns.





We're having fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment