Friday, April 17, 2015

Outside play, Grandparents Visit, Tools, Sick, Fun

I haven't updated in a while.  This will be a bit of a mishmash.  Enjoy!

The boys doing some tire work.


My parents came to visit.  Grandpa helped them dig in the dirt.


And build lego towers


I got my mom's patience. Grandpa did a great job helping them.


The boys are at an age where we can disguise chores with fun outdoor activities.  Here they are helping hand wash the van. Ben spraying


Ben looking sassy, Alex looking pitifully sad


Finally Alex got a turn


Dipping the sponges in a soap water bucket to use on the van


Taking a water break together in the wagon


Ben left Alex right.  They love the screw guns.  Wonder what they are looking at?


Putting in the bit.  Great job, guys!


Never mind, it was a screw.  Close!


Cody building with the boys.  The boys are getting old enough for their toys to overlap with Cody's interests.  Sometimes Cody and the boys fight over toys.


This is how completely the same their hair color is.  Weird.  Cody will say, "Yeah, but when I was 2 my hair was extremely blonde.  It only got darker as I got older." To that I say, "Ok, but it is still cool now.  Suck it."  Also, their eyes are still blue.  In case you were wondering.


This was from when the boys and I were sick.  Alex passed out on the floor.


Ben.  They like when I turn on the front facing camera so they can look at themselves.  I try to take pictures and video while they do it.  It can be hilarious.


Ben left Alex right.  It is in black and white because Ben's face is covered in milk.  My guys are messy.


Alex making a funny face


Ben left Alex right, sick.  Poor little monkeys.  I was sick at the same time as them.  Cody still worked most of the week.  It was pure torture. They were not the kind of sick where they slept for hours and hours.  They were whiny, miserable, and needy.  So was I.  Cody did end up coming home from a business trip early to help me and then took a day or two off to help.  Thanks, Cody.  It was awful.


My guys are alarmingly good with tools.  I know you can look up this post and see some questionable tool usage, but still.  Here are two separate toys that they combined to create a makeshift hammer.  

I have an even more impressive makeshift tool story.  The boys are in toddler beds now.  We have one of those plastic covers over their door knob in the room so they can't escape in the middle of the night.  They managed to get a couple of them off over a few days.  I couldn't figure out how they were doing it.  I caught them one day and was so impressed I let them continue.  They were taking one of their toy chisels and holding it inside the plastic cover.  Then they were hammering the chisel with a hammer they built using pvc pipes.  THIS IS WHAT I AM UP AGAINST.  Not only do they use tools in well thought out ways, but they CREATE tools to fill their destructive needs.  My little monkeys are awesome and terrifying.


Alex making his hammer.


For my sister.  Shep.  He is back now.  He gave the boys about 2 weeks of trying to learn to appreciate the boys.  Now he goes to the basement every time he hears them wake up.  When we close their door for them to sleep, he comes back upstairs.  Poor boy.  He isn't mean to them, and he does accept their pets and hugs.  He just chooses to put some distance between them and him when possible.  When we are all outside, he does hang around with all of us.


They like to do this.  Ben


Alex


Ben




Alex smelling a flower.  "Flower."  Dandelion. 

He doesn't know it is a weed.  Live it up, little monkey.


Bird war has begun again.  They attacked the straw fortress.  A new nest was up in a day.  We took it down and stuck a plastic box on top of the light.  It's your move, birds.


Ben left.  Alex right.  They LOVE grapefruit.  I gave them each a half to chew on while I used a grapefruit spoon to dig out the flesh of another one.  They ate all of everything I gave them. Then they squeezed the remains and drank the juice.  Then they stuck them in their toolbox.  Yeah, the last part confused me too.  They did it as a team though.  Teamwork.


We've reached the end of our journey.  We really haven't done anything exciting lately.  Almost every picture on my phone has been pictures of the funny ways the boys sleep in their beds.  Since I was sick for about 2 of the last 4 weeks, I don't have much to report.

They are getting bigger, faster, stronger, and smarter.  I can trust them to climb on our kitchen chairs and not fall.  It is fabulous.  I have (almost) all of my chairs back in the kitchen and they are all standing upright.  It is the little things you need to appreciate.  They are eating food by biting it off instead of requiring everything to be cut in to tiny pieces.  They love bugs, worms, and spiders. 

Today I noticed them hanging out in one spot on our deck laughing.  I shrugged it off figuring they weren't doing anything dangerous and they were keeping each other happy, so whatever.  After I switched the laundry around, I checked on them again.  Same place.  Eventually I went to check on them, they excitedly told me about the cool bug they were watching.  I listened to them chatter and sat down.  A few minutes later the bug showed back up, it was a wasp.  They were trying to squish it.  I'm really glad they didn't learn what would happen to them if they tried to squish the wasp.

No comments:

Post a Comment